The Miles Clan

The Miles Clan

Monday, July 25, 2011

Hiking Silver Star with the James Gang

My sister and her family are HERE! They are in the process of moving from VA to WA (Seattle to be exact). Angele and Jeff, along with Emily and Nathan (Zach is in Army Boot Camp) were here all weekend. Angele and Jeff just left for Seattle to house hunt. I have Emily and Nate for half the week then Nate for the remainder, as Jeff's family is in OR and the kids will spend time there as well.

So, on to my post.

When I was a little girl in AK, I remember climbing trees, and then asking my sister to help me down because, well, I just don't like the down side. When Greg, the kids and I moved to NC, we did a 4x4 ride in Uwharrie National Forest and well, that was the first time in about 20 years, that I'd been in a mountainous area. I discovered then, and pretty much confirmed on our Smokey Mountain Vacation, that I DO have a fear of heights, mainly mountainous, cliffs, open area. Greg would always say he did as well, although I never noticed HIS knuckles turning white on those narrow mountain roads.

Since moving here, Greg has been on a few hikes with his Unit, and yeah, he keeps going, so I don't THINK he is as bad as me.

Our friends and neighbors have hiked Silver Star numerous times, and I've seen their pics with this rock arch that I have since been DYING (no really, near died haha) to see. So Russ and Jemina offered to be our hiking guides. Saturday morning we loaded up water, granola bars, back packs and 'various protection' from animals or such, and headed out for the hour or so drive to the desire trail head.

BEAUTIFUL from the start. Not far and we could see Mt St Helen's, Mt Rainier and Mt Adams. Further up, add in Mt Hood. Not bad so far. We then stumbled upon our other neighbor on a 'date hike' and still, all is fairly well. There was  couple of narrow trail spots with drop offs, I'm starting to not like this so much. Further along, it gets worse, and worse and WORSE for me. Upon an upper ridge where left and right is wide open views, the dizziness kicks in. Once I have one side of blocked I'm feeling a little better but the trail becomes even MORE narrow. Greg and Russ promise me I won't fall far IF I do. Yeah, not working. So they up the promise to I won't fall at all. Forgetting to mention anyone else in the group. Russ proceeds to slip and slide and scare me to death. Jemina proceeds to teeter back near the cave and Angele grabs her. Now my humor and sarcasm kicks in, cause that's what I do when I'm scared crapless! I ask Russ "do you want to be single? My sister just saved your wife". Yeah, not so funny but I'm a wack job that way.

Once to the cave, after REALLY scary moments with Greg and Angele hanging back from the group with me, one in front the other in back, Angele distracting me with chatter (yeah Gel, I caught on to your trick and it HELPED A LOT), I was able to sit, further from the cliff, and calm down. There was a little further (10 min hike) to the peak but it was NOT kid friendly in Greg's opinion and he didn't want the boys tagging along. WOOT, I'll stay at the cave with them, YEAH YEAH YEAH, and Angele stayed with ME.

They returned and we head back, ummmm, I've been looking to my feet, to the right, but if I do that now, I'll be looking down a cliff. Russ tells me again I won't fall far, he also has 'protection'. I now request to be put down like a horse if I fall cause I don't do pain. Greg states HECK NO and he'll pack my butt out of there first. For the love of God, put me out of my misery instead please?!

Once we get around the Hated Trail (I named a section of it) we are on a WIDE trail that reminds me of Old Woman in AK when my daddy took Angele and I up for a hike. THIS I can do.

So, here I am, SO THANKFUL to have seen the views that cameras can NOT do justice, and even MORE THANKFUL to be back down in the valley. Yes, I'll hike again, I can be up there but the trail needs to be WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY wider under my feet.

 Sean, Nate, Em & Mike

 Greg & I (Mt Hood)


Jeff & Angele 

Russ & Jemina 

Russ and G (Battle Ground back & below) 

James Gang  

Miles Clan 

Gel & Nay 


Some of our group

Gel, Jemina & I 

Leaning to the right 

The Arch 



Me not like 



This REALLY sucks!! 

The hiding/resting cave (my name for it haha) 


Pushing a smile 


Em & I 

Russ & Jeff up top where I won't see aside from pics 





No comments:

Post a Comment